Friday, June 24, 2016
five on friday
Happy Friday! How was your week? I went to the beach with Jesse this week. I haven't been to the beach with just him in, like, 14 years. We had dinner on the beach at sunset and then walked along the beach in the evening. It was great. Later in the week we went to my sister's to go swimming. My daughters loved that obviously. I even got to work on my summer 2016 memory book! It has been a good week.
I haven't shared "Five on Friday" in several weeks! I have so much to share! Let's get right to it-
1. On cultivating joy: "We can cultivate joy every day. We don't have to wait for momentous once-a-year or once-a-week occasions." -9 Ways to Bring More Joy to Your Days by Margarita Tartakovsky. Also from Margarita: "Making time for simple pleasures helps to prevent burnout. Simple pleasures help us to refocus on the sweet small moments, which helps us to cultivate joy and welcome a boost of energy" -Savoring Simple Pleasures Every Day. Also! 35 Ways to Treat Yourself.
2. On summer plans: "Yes, summer often means big travel plans and fueling your wanderlust, but there are plenty of small things you can do every day to still capture the magic of the season and provide the adventure you're craving." -10 Things You should Add to Your Summer Bucket List Right Now by Stephanie Nguyen. Some of these overlap with my summer manifesto. Another helpful article: 5 Sizzling Summer Dating Tips by Anna Johansson.
3. On reading: "If you are like many, your time to read is limited, so you want to be sure you select a good book to enjoy." -How to Find Great Books to Read by Jessica Turner. Also by Jessica: How Busy Moms Can Find Time to Read. AND I have to mention: Read // Eat: Mini Blueberry Scones from ‘Me Before You’ by Sarah Von Bargen.
4. On happiness: "Most of us have vague ideas of what makes us happy. Maybe we’re reasonably happy on a day-to-day basis but we’ve never really put much thought into where those feelings come from or what, specifically, about an experience is making us happy." -How To Figure Out What Makes You Happy (so you can do more of it) by Sarah Von Bargen. Also: Never Give Up: Questions to Ask When Everything Isn’t OK by Kate Arends (excellent article) + The Key to Success? Not Comparing Yourself to Others by Michael Hedrick + 7 Simple Ways to Get Out of a Funk by Nicole Yi.
5. On simplifying life: "I am all about finding ways to simplify life and routines and work a little harder up front to prevent future stress." -Weekend Prep for Weekday Success by Jennifer Jones. Also: 20 Simple Weeknight Dinners by Tracy Benjamin and 7 Creative Shortcuts and Solutions to Simplify Life with Young Kids by Margarita Tartakovsky. ("Sort your to-do list based on time" is solid advice).
If you have time for a fun project, some DIY projects I came across and LOVE:
Floating Window Shelves by Jessica Marquez
Rock Flower Border by Nikki Mans
Bleach Tie Dyeing Fabric by Tracy Benjamin
Hope you have a good one!